Stir-Fried Cauliflower “Rice” Bowl
Get more vegetable into your day with our stir-fried cauliflower “rice” bowl, which is also friendly for the carb-conscious crowd. You can enjoy all the flavors of fried rice–egg, carrots and peas–on a bed of savory cauliflower “rice.” If you crave a protein boost, serve with a side of lean chicken or broiled shrimp.
Stir-Fried Cauliflower “Rice”
- 1 head cauliflower (2 pounds or 1180 grams), cut into florets Note: As a shortcut I purchase riced cauliflower . 1 head = approximately .4 cups.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 small carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sugar snap or baby peas, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium, gluten-free soy or tamari sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 green onion, sliced diagonally
Place cauliflower florets, in batches, in a food processor and pulse until it is the size and texture of rice. Set aside. Omit this step if you have bought riced cauliflower. If not pulse the cauliflower yet remember to drain if you pulsed on paper towel.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes or until set. Transfer to a plate; thinly slice and set aside.
Wipe skillet clean; heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil over medium heat. Add carrots, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in cauliflower and sugar snap pea pods. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes until mixture is hot and cauliflower is crisp-tender.
Combine broth, soy sauce, and sesame oil; stir into cauliflower and cook 1 minute. Stir in reserved eggs; cook 1 minute until heated. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups