Thai Coconut Soup
Make your favorite Thai take-out at home with this easy Thai Coconut Soup!
Author: Jen Nikolaus
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 tsp. red curry paste ( You can purchase in the asian food aisle of grocery store)
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into large chunks
- 3 (13.5-oz) cans lite coconut milk
- 1 (8-oz) container sliced button mushrooms
- 1 lb. large shelled and deveined shrimp
- juice from ½ lime
- juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- cooked basmati rice, for serving
- cilantro, for serving if desired
- chopped peanuts, for serving if desired
- Add chopped chiles if you like extra spicy
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the red curry paste and ginger for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth and lemongrass pieces. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Carefully take out lemongrass pieces with a slotted spoon, throw away.
- Add coconut milk and mushrooms. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until mushrooms are softened.
- Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through. Stir in lemon and lime juice and salt (taste and add more if needed).
- Place a few scoops of cooked warm rice in the bottom of a bowl and pour soup on top. Top with chopped cilantro and peanuts and serve. Enjoy!
recipe adapted from Allrecipes